Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Go Home Spring, You Are Drunk



Hello my lovelies! Who else is so excited that Srping is almost here? Oh, oops. Did you see that? That's right, in case you didn't notice it (I'm talking to you men), there is a typo. Not just here in this paragraph, but on my nails!


UberChic Beauty recently released a Spring/Easter stamping plate which I didn't have plans on buying. I don't spend much money on holiday plates because of their limited use. My mind changed though when this unfortunate spelling error was pointed out. The pretty lettering with its fancy flourishes is in such contrast to the nonsense word that was created. And with such enthusiasm too! The thought came to me, "Wouldn't it be hilarious to actually use that image in a manicure?" I laughed and laughed. Then I decided, yes, I must!


To match the mood of the inebriated misprint, I filled the rest of my nails with likewise cross-eyed abstract watercolor flowers. Thank you for the suggestion Lindsey (of Wondrously Polished, queen of florals)!

This is my first time ever attempting a design like this. I started with a base color of Polish My Life Birthday Suit, then applied a coat of Essie Matte About You to mattify it (I got that from this Lucy's Stash tutorial). Then I took a whole bunch of Sharpies and some rubbing alcohol to add the colors with a brush. I wish I could explain more about my method, but I tried so many different things as I experimented. For a little more definition, I added some black outlines with acrylic paint and a detailing brush. I couldn't decide if I liked the matte version I started with, or the top coated one below better. I like them both, so here you go.



The misprint in all its ridiculous glory.

What I used:
Polish My Life Birthday Suit- base color
Essie Matte About You
Sharpies
acrylic paint
UberChic Yay Spring! stamping plate


I am in love with how this came out! I had never tried this watercolor method before and it proved to be quite challenging. But it was totally worth it!  Even after all the hours spent looking at these nails, I am still amused. Although it's funny to me, if I were the maker (Brittany), I know I would be furious about the mistake. So I hope you don't think I'm laughing at her expense. I just like to look on the bright side of things.


p.s. I'm sure there are lots of my own typos in this post. There usually are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!